Tuesday 6 May 2014

Paua merino becomes waistcoat

But only just!


I spun 300g of Fibre 2 Go's paua merino sliver aiming to get wide bands of colour. I undid each of the 100g units to give six ends. I found the colour that was most common to the six ends and spun that in a worsted style. Then I found the next most common colour and spun that and so on. This also coped with the slight differences in the colours of the sliver.  I'd bought 200g then another 100g months later.


Single ply













Next I chain (Navaho) plyed the yarn. The yarn looked beautiful, smooth and rounded but I hadn't anticipated how heavy it would be and consequently what a short meterage I would get compared to 2 ply yarn.
 

 The colours were very effective in the waistcoat but knitting it was like driving a car when you are running out of petrol. I had to unpick the fronts and lower the neckline to get enough yarn. Even then I was scrambling to finish it. The last lengths of yarn were cut from the ends left from casting on.



The buttons were a problem. My little town of Thames on the Coromandel Peninsula doesn't have much of a choice so I usually recycle old buttons. This time I had nothing suitable except for one button made from paua shell. Eventually I found a shop in Waihi that has a fantastic range. The owner imports buttons from England.

No comments:

Post a Comment