Sunday 23 August 2015

First shawl

and first knitting using a single ply. Is it a ply if it's single?
The merino came for Tracey White at Inspire Fibres. It had a multitude of colours that I didn't want to merge together so I spun trying to keep as much of one colour together as I could.

This glorious fibre sat on its bobbin for months while I tried to decide how and what to do with it. After asking for ideas from the New Zealand Art Yarn community of Facebook I settled on a garter stitch shawl. 
The energy released as I took it off the winder.


I felted it slightly as I washed it then hung it to dry with a weight. Weight being a technical term for a plastic bottle of water. This works very well as you can adjust the amount of water in the bottle to give as much pull as you want.

Once I'd started knitting I realised I'd need more yarn so I spun some lavender merino. After soaking the shawl I pegged it to the line and gave it a few tugs downwards. I didn't have to weight it.

 I love it, so soft snuggly and versatile.

No comments:

Post a Comment