Monday 15 July 2013

Building the stash at Cambridge


At the recent Cambridge Creative Fibres exhibition I indulged myself in some beautiful random dyed sliver from Lyn Walsh of Fibres to Go. I had seen her colourway, Paua, before and couldn't wait to get some. The colours are taken from the inner shell of the New Zealand paua or abalone.

I bought 300 g of merino (80%) and silk (20%) dyed predominately in blues, turquoise and green with splashes of pink.  I've decided to spin the sliver my version of fine then Navaho (chain) ply the singles.

I was half way through spinning the first length when I had an idea. If I wanted longer lengths of a colour I could spin from either end of each 100g skeins whenever the colours at the ends were the same. So I've decided to use the yarn I've already spun for sleeves and the rest for areas of knitting that have more stitches.

Another length that begged to come home with me was this one of 19 micron merino dyed in jewel colours. At this stage I think it will likely become a scarf.

My final purchase was a 0.7 kg share in a white alpaca fleece from Ridgedale Alpacas in Katikati. The soft locks are long and have a lovely crimp. I'm looking forward to washing, dyeing and spinning alpaca for the first time.

one lock of alpaca

No comments:

Post a Comment