Friday 28 March 2014

Jewel Yarn




I succumbed to this 19 micron merino yarn called Precious Jewels from Lyn Walsh of  Fibres 2 Go last July then I bought another 100g at our Thames Creative Fibres Open Day last October.
 I wanted to make a 2 ply yarn with many short colour changes with as few areas as possible where the colour of the 2 plys was the same.
The amazing colour changes after I had carefully opened out the sliver.

I made a sample and found if I spun the yarn then plyed from opposite ends (Does that make sense?) I'd get the yarn I wanted.

The two 100g wheels of fibre varied slightly in colour so I needed to put each on its own bobbin then ply the two. Starting with one wheel I gently opened out the sliver. I divided the length of sliver in half then split each half into 7 strips rolling each one into a ball. I dizzed all the strips and rerolled. Now I had 14 balls in one container. Next I repeated this process for the second wheel but split from the other end.I spun a worsted yarn from the first set onto the bobbin. The second set went onto the next bobbin. When I plyed the bobbins there was my jewel yarn with flashes of colour.


No comments:

Post a Comment