Friday 29 August 2014

Felted skirt


 I thought a wrap around skirt would enable me to pick up the triangle motif from the top. I made a paper pattern and enlarged it by a third so I could lay out the merino fibre. I prefelted it slightly, dried it, and cut out the areas for the triangles of colour. I carefully positioned the triangles which had been prefelted by hand, no water. On the inside I put fibre across the "seams" to hold the triangles in place.








More prefelting followed. This time I rolled the skirt thoroughly. Once dry I used leftover yarn from the jumper to hand stitch a running stitch in the triangles.

Finally I fulled the skirt until it reached the size I wanted. I also rolled a long cord to thread through the waist which I had strengthened with 5 rows of machine stitching. It looked fine to me on my dressmaker's dummy.









My work was accepted for the exhibition. Unfortunately I couldn't go but a friend took some photos. The skirt was exhibited back to front and those sleeves on the jumper looked too big and flappy. I realised I hadn't actually tried on the jumper. When I got it back I unpicked the sleeves and with the help of Tasha of bygumbygolly.com I knitted seamless set-in sleeves using wonderful short rows. Thank you Tasha. As soon as I get the second sleeve done I'll add a photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment