Tuesday 7 June 2016

Love of Gotland curls

Back to blogging at last. The first half of 2016 has been difficult but now I'm back into my spinning, weaving and my new love eco printing.

I'm still in love with spinning Gotland from the curl. I hold each lock sideways and spin from the centre of the lock making a lovely soft yarn with little curls. I spun and spun and spun until I had enough yarn to make my husband a knee rug though I have to admit that since it has been finished I may have used it more often than him. Yes that's the warp and weft handspun.

 beautiful washed Gotland curls













 Dyeing the curls red gave an tan brown colour on the tips.










As my loom is only 50 cm wide I made 2 lengths for the rug and stitched them together. I didn't try to match the weft or warp threads. Most of the warp threads are 2 ply but most of the weft threads are spiral plyed with a fine commercial laceweight.
First length lying on part of second warp

Drying after fulling
 Those delightful curls in the finished rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment